Business survival is all about strategy. Upheavals in the playing field can bring down the powerful and successful overnight. Rules have changed, new challengers are constantly entering the field and competition is deadly. Be strategic; work smart. Tip the odds in your favor.
1. Be a victor, not a victim. A victim sees hopelessness; a victor sees solutions. If you can’t see a path to success, you will never be able to take it. Be open to new ideas. See possibilities. Your view can guide your fate.
2. Be assertive. Don’t obsess over the closed doors. Whining and pounding on them is a waste of energy and time. Step back, take charge. Draw upon your inner Tyrannosaurus and dominate. Be creative. New challenges mean new opportunities.
3. Find new allies. Survival in the emerging world depends on new and complex skill sets. Where are you vulnerable? Where do you rock? Partner up with others who will have your back, and who you can support and strengthen.
4. Plot your strategy. Know what you want, and how you plan to get it. How are you going to invest your time, money and resources? What is the expected payoff? Will you have the resources, will you have the cash flow to work your plan? Be brutally honest with yourself and be very specific. A vague plan is not a plan at all.
5. Don’t be an ostrich. Ostriches are prehistoric remnants. Pretending things haven’t changed, or waiting for the world to go back to “normal” means death to you from gleeful predators. While your head is buried, your business is exposed and vulnerable. Get the sand out of your eyes and assess your position. Incorporate your strengths and use them to your full advantage.
Business is a battle for survival. Competitors are aggressively repositioning, and the world order changes constantly. Today’s victors can be tomorrow’s fossils. Yet change brings opportunity. Survivors are those who move quickly and act decisively. See and seize opportunities. Be a victor, not a victim.