Get a Head Start:
What is your 2017 strategic plan? We all have at least a vague idea of what we want to accomplish in our business and professional lives. But what exactly do you want to achieve? Where are you now, what is your vision, and what is your strategic plan for 2017?
Forging ahead without a plan is always an option. With hard work, you probably can make some headway during 2017. But what opportunities will you miss? What will be wasted? Investing as little as one day to set a plan can yield huge dividends, and save untold hours, dollars and grief.
Find Your Strategic Plan Context:
Strategic planning takes time, thought and focus. As we finish the last quarter of 2016, take a look back, and an energized look ahead.
- First, take an objective look back on 2016.
- What did you accomplish? Congratulate yourself!
- What opportunities did you miss? Why? What will you do next time?
- What do you need to do differently?
- What do you need to improve?
- Next, take a look into the future.
- What new opportunities do you see?
- What do you need to do to take advantage of these?
- What threats are emerging?
- How will you neutralize these threats?
Set Your Long-term Vision:
The next step is to think. Take time, sit back, and see the big picture.
- Where do you want to be in 10 years?
- Where will you need to be in 5 years, to be on track for the 10-year goal?
- What is your 3-year goal, to support your position in year 5?
- Based on this vision, what do you need to accomplish next year?
- What do you need to set up now, to give you a head start on 2017?
Put it All Together:
Finally, combine your big picture goals with your observations of 2016 and 2017.
- Create your strategic plan for 2017.
- Create SMART goals for 2017. That is, develop goals which are:
- Validate your goals.
- Do your goals put you on track for your 10-year plan?
- Do they improve your effectiveness and performance?
- Do they take advantage of trends?
Envision your future. Set and implement a strategy for achieving your vision. Take time to set your 2017 strategic plan and make a small investment today in your success for tomorrow.